Radiology technicians obtain images of the different parts of the human body using computerized imaging equipment. These images are used by physicians to give a proper diagnosis. They might choose to specialize in certain body systems, such as skeletal, cardiac, digestive, or urinary.
Radiolody Tech Education
There are three ways to complete the necessary education required of radiology technicians. Students can earn an associate’s degree, certificate, or a bachelor’s degree. Getting the associate’s degree is the most popular method, lasting for two years, while it takes four years to complete a bachelor’s degree.
A radiology technician degree is also offered online. Its coursework usually includes anatomy and physiology, methods of patient care, principles of exposure, medical ethics, medical law, advanced imaging course, and pathology. Other topics include medical terminology, body positioning, radiation protection, radiologic image production, image assessment, techniques of radiography, radiation biology principles, and radiologic pharmacology.
The last two semesters may be devoted to a clinical externship to help the students gain hands-on experience as radiology technicians.
Three Biggest Radiology Technician Schools
In 2010, there were 12,309 students who graduated with a radiology technology degree in the US. It was during that year that the three largest schools offering this course were Miami Dade College in Miami, Florida; Ohio State University-Main Campus in Columbus, Ohio; and Houston Community College in Houston, Texas.
The other schools worth considering include the following:
- University of Iowa. The University of Iowa offers two medical imaging-related courses – Radiation Sciences, which include sonography, radiologic technology, CT, MRI, and radiation therapy programs, and nuclear medicine technology, which is also an undergraduate medical imaging degree.
- Keiser University. The Radiological Tech program of Kaplan College meets the standards of the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists and the California State Department of Health Services, Radiologic Health Branch.
- Sanford-Brown Institute. This university offers a bachelor’s degree in radiology, as well as certificate and diplomas, and an associate degree.
- Keiser University. The school offers an Associate of Science degree in Radiologic Technology.
Top Online Schools to Consider in the field of radiologic technology
For those who want to complete a degree in radiology at their own pace, taking their classes online would be a good option. There are many schools offering online degrees in radiology or medical imaging, such as the following:
- Keiser University. This school offers courses such as AS in Radiologic Therapy, AS in Radiologic Technology, AS in Nuclear Medicine Technology, and more.
- Concorde Career Colleges, Inc. This college offers AAS in Radiologic Technology and AAS in Neurodiagnostic Technology.
- San Joaquin Valley College (SJVC). This college offers a degree in Diagnostic Medical Sonography.
- Adventist University of Health Sciences. This online school offers a Bachelor of Science in Radiologic Sciences.
Why Try Online Education in the field of radiologic technology
While students consider where to go to school to get their degree, distance education programs are often dismissed without second thoughts. However, these programs can provide the students more flexibility and leisure without compromising the quality of their education.
Students can find accredited online radiology programs by consulting the Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology. This organization accredited more than 600 programs in the field of radiology as of 2009, with 213 of them providing students with a certificate.
These online programs require students to access materials that are posted online and boost their comprehension of the medical subjects through weekly assignments. Answers to those assignments are then submitted to the professors online. Instructors and classmates can be reached through emails, video chat, or telephone.